Lifeline / Link-Up Program
The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Lifeline and Link-Up Program provides discounted telephone service for Americans who are eligible under certain guidelines. Following is information about the program and how it works.
LIFELINE: Lifeline is a federal program that provides monthly discount on telephone service. An eligible household may receive Lifeline on its home phone or its cellular phone, but not both. Lifeline service cannot be transferred to another person, even if the other person is eligible.
LINK UP: Link Up assists with initial hook up charges for telephone service ($100 maximum). You may only receive Tribal Link Up one time per address.
Eligibility GuidelinesIf your household income falls at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, you will qualify for discounted telephone service under the terms of the FCC's Lifeline and Link-Up Programs. Consumers will also be eligible to receive the discount if they, their dependent, or their household are receiving assistance from at least one of the following programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
- Head Start (those meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Medicaid (not Medicare)/AHCCCS
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8) (HUD)
- Low- Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) . (APS included)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
- National School Lunch, Free Lunch Program
2013 Income Requirements for a Household at or Below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
Qualifying customers living on tribal lands must complete an application and provide proof of eligibility based on the above mentioned criteria the first year, and complete a recertification form once every year after.
Some examples of proof of eligibility are:
- Prior year's state, federal, or tribal tax return.
- Current income statement from employer or paycheck stub.
- Social Security statement of benefits.
- Veteran's Administration statement of benefits.
- Retirement/pension statement of benefits.
- Unemployment/Worker's Compensation statement of benefits.
- Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance.
- A divorce decree or child support document.
*Any other telephone features such as Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc. are available for additional charges.
If you would like to sign up or know more about the lifeline and Link-Up Program, please call (928)738-HOPI or visit our website at www.hopitelecom.net.
Download the Hopi Telecommunications Lifeline Application now.
Download the above Hopi Telecommunications Lifeline Eligibility Guildelines now.
Call 1-877-522-8428 for more information.
For more information about the Lifeline and Link-Up Programs, visit the following links:
Universal Service Administrative Company: